Arizona & New Mexico
Maybe you are new to the Corvette world, or maybe you do not know of the 2024 Caravan, so what is the 2024 Caravan? It is a gathering of Corvette enthusiasts from around the United States, Canada, and several other countries. We form caravans of Corvettes from locations around the country to make a great road trip to Bowling Green, Kentucky. This will be an event beginning in late August which will celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the National Corvette Museum on Labor Day weekend 2024. Caravans will form from locations close to your home for this event so you can participate with thousands of other Corvette owners. Participants can join at various locations along the way.
We are excited that you are visiting the Arizona and New Mexico National Corvette Museum web page.
We have planned an exciting and memorable Caravan to the National Corvette Museum 30th Anniversary Celebration. We will caravan along scenic sections of Arizona, New Mexico highways, and stretches of old Route 66. What could be better than traveling along the beautiful mountain roads in your Corvette?
We will Begin in Phoenix with a morning departure on Friday, August 23rd from the Mesa Bass Pro Shop. Our route will be different from previous AZ -NM Caravans with a northern route rather than the common drive along I-40. We will have more scenic drives and different events. We will join with the Oklahoma Caravan for our final caravan into Bowling Green. Imagine the sight of hundreds of Corvettes in these combined Caravans traveling to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green!
Caravan Route, Schedule, and Hotels
I have driven our caravan route to Bowling Green. What a great scenic trip! I believe that all participants will find our “Northern” Caravan to be fun and interesting…We will enjoy a lot of scenic roads instead of just the Interstate highways. Please bring your FRS or GMRS radios for communication during our caravan. I have not finalized many activates or hotels at this time. I will be able to present additional information as our plans are completed.
- Thursday – August 22: Suggested hotel for participants who need to overnight in Phoenix is the Hyatt Place located in Mesa at 1422 West Bass Pro Drive. Mesa, Arizona. Additional hotels are in the immediate area. I recommend considering the Friday morning traffic in Phoenix due to our scheduled 8 AM departure. Many Phoenix participants are renting rooms near the Mesa Bass Pro Shop. We will meet at 7:30 AM for a drivers’ meeting before departing the Bass Pro Shops parking lot.
- Friday – August 23: Meet and Greet Phoenix and Tucson participants in Phoenix, AZ. We will depart at 8 AM Friday morning from the Bass Pro parking lot in Phoenix/ Mesa. We will caravan along US-60 to Show Low, AZ for lunch and fuel. We will travel to the Crowne Plaza in Albuquerque, our evening host hotel. This hotel has multiple restaurants including their fine Ranchers Club of New Mexico, Stone Street and Cantina Lounge. Breakfast is included Saturday morning before we depart from their parking lot.
- Saturday – August 24: I will lead our Caravan departing from the Crowne Plaza hotel in Albuquerque to the Unser Racing Museum. Lunch is planned at the El Pinto Restaurant in Albuquerque. We will then travel some mountain roads to Jemez Springs and the Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos, NM, Our evening host hotel is the Hampton Inn in Los Alamos/ White Rock, NM.
- Sunday – August 25: After an overnight in Los Alamos/ White Rock, NM, we will be driving across the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge…600 feet above the Rio Grande. A planned overnight in Amarillo with dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch on Sunday. Our host hotel is planned to be the Hampton Inn next to the Big Texan.
- Monday – August 26: Monday we are planning a possible stop in Shamrock, TX to see an art deco Conoco service station and café. We are planning lunch at Frontier Chevrolet in El Reno, OK. Following lunch, we will drive along portions of Route 66 to Tulsa for the evening.
- Tuesday – August 27: Departing Tulsa, we will travel along scenic US 60 to Cape Girardeau, MO. for the evening. Cape Girardeau is planning a street party to welcome the Corvette Caravans. The Oklahoma and Southern California caravans are expected to be in the Cape for the evening.
- Wednesday – August 28: We are planning a scenic journey from the Cape to Patti’s 1880 Settlement for lunch on Wednesday and then driving the Land Between the Lakes to Bowling Green.
Our Route 66 Arizona and New Mexico Caravan will closely follow old Route 66 with some interesting excursions along very scenic roads that previous caravans have not traveled. Join us for a memorable vacation driving your Corvette.
We will not use a travel agency to reserve rooms for the 2024 AZ/ NM Caravan registered participants. Contact Captain Holt Davis at [email protected] for additional hotel information. The host hotels will provide discounts and security.
We are planning for your enjoyment and have completed several trial runs along this route. We encourage you to research sites along the way. Plan scenic stops that you, your friends, or your club like. You do not need to run “nose to tail” since we have relaxed schedules with plenty of Caravan reform locations along the way.
Who is in charge?
Captain Holt Davis is the Arizona & New Mexico Captain for the 2024 Caravan. I live in Southeastern New Mexico and I am a member of the Lone Star Corvette Club located in Dallas – Ft. Worth, TX and the Border States Corvette Club located in Hobbs, NM . I retired after working as an automation engineer, PLC programmer and SCADA administrator in the petroleum industry. I am an Air Force Vietnam veteran…spent the time at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas…it was tough but someone needed to do it. I participated in the 2009 15th Anniversary Caravan. I was captain for the 2014 20th and the 2019 25th AZ-NM Caravans. I fell in love with the ’63 Corvette Stingray fastback the first time I saw one and dreamed of owning one. Well that did not happen but I have owned 14 Corvettes through the years including my current ’67 Roadster. My ’71 was displayed on the turntable at the front of the NCM.
Additional caravan information is available at the 2024 Arizona & New Mexico Corvette Caravan to the NCM Facebook page.
Sponsors are needed
This is a special event where you can present your products and services to many Caravan participants. We will place advertisements in our electronic Route Book and printed Route Book and on this AZ-NM Caravan page.. Please contact Captain Holt Davis, [email protected] for details.
- Zachary Automation, LLC
- Crown Plaza Albuquerque