1978 Corvette Specs
25th anniversary of the Corvette
The Silver Anniversary Corvette: Twenty-five years in the making. To celebrate the first quarter century of Corvettes, a completely re-designed body was rolled out with new “fastback” styling. Every Corvette this year came with special 25th anniversary badging. Special “Anniversary Editions” included a unique two-tone paint job in Charcoal Silver and Silver Metallic. Production of the anniversary edition was not limited and 15,283 Corvettes were eventually sold with this paint.
To mark the Corvettes 25th anniversary, some notable improvements were made. 1978 Corvettes had a new fastback roofline and rear window. These changes enhanced the Corvette’s sleek silhouette. The new and improved rear window not only allows for a cleaner styling profile; it also improves visibility for the driver and adds extra luggage space. Inside, there is also room for storage of the removable roof panels. A larger, plastic-lined fuel tank is also a new addition to the ’78 Vette. Capacity has been boosted from 17 to 24 gallons. The instrument panel has also been restyled and features face-mounted, round, easy to read instruments.
Corvette performance has been improved with a dual snorkel air cleaner and new low-restriction exhaust system and mufflers on the available L82 350 Cu. In. V8 engine. The transverse rear leaf spring in the independent rear suspension has been widened to reduce stress. Two new transmissions were introduced in the 1978 Corvette. A new Four-Speed manual transmission is standard. A new automatic transmission is available for the L82 350 Cu. In. V8 engine. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Corvette, the Silver Anniversary emblems are mounted on the nose and rear deck.
Corvette continues to offer a long list of standard equipment. Those included in the 1978 are:
- 4-barrel 350 Cu. In. V8.
- Choice of 4-Speed manual or automatic transmission.
- Independent suspension, front and rear.
- Power steering.
- Reinforced fiberglass body construction that can’t rust or corrode.
- Power disc brakes at all four wheels; self-adjusting and fade-resistant.
- Low-profile, steel-belted radial ply tires.
- Wide 15″ x 8″ wheels.
- Body-colored, energy-absorbing bumpers.
- Flush-mounted, retractable headlights.
- Soft-Ray tinted glass.
- Center Console.
- Column-mounted switch that controls turn signals, high and low headlight beams.
- Choice of leather or cloth and leather seat inserts.
- Full foam, deep contoured bucket seats.
- Choice of 10 exterior colors, 7 interior colors.
- Carpeted floor, including tunnel sides and door sills.
- Twin bumper guards, front and rear.
- Removable roof panels.
- Automatic overhead and instrument panel courtesy lights.
- Extensive sound insulation.
- Electric clock.
- Lockable storage compartments.
- Full instrumentation, including speedometer, tachometer, water temperature gage, voltmeter, oil pressure gage, and trip odometer.
- Delco Freedom battery that needs no water.
Complementing Corvette’s impressive list of standard equipment, available options allow you to make of Corvette an even more personal kind of grand touring machine. Here are a few of the most popular items:
- The L82 350 Cu. In. V8. This engine features a higher lift camshaft, special cylinder heads with larger valving, impact-extruded pistons and a forged crankshaft with 4-bolt main bearing caps, plus finned aluminum rocker arm covers.
- Close-ratio, 4-Speed manual gearbox with gearing designed for the numerous up-and-down shifts associated with Corvette driving demands. Fully synchronized with a 2.43-to-1 first gear ratio.
RUNNING GEAR EQUIPMENT
- The FE7 gymkhana suspension package, including heavy-duty front and rear shock absorbers, larger diameter front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar added, plus higher rate front and rear springs.
- P225/60R15 white-letter radial ply tires with aramid fabric belts for smoother running and wider footprint.
- Cast aluminum wheels.
- A trailering package with engine cooling and special suspension components.
COMFORT, CONVENIENCE, AND APPEARANCE EQUIPMENT
- Four-Season air conditioning.
- Rear window defogger.
- Power windows.
- Tilt-Telescopic steering wheel with leather-wrapped wheel.
- AM-FM and AM-FM stereo radios; AM-FM stereo with tape are also available.
- Combination AM-FM stereo and CB radio; including power tri-band antenna.
- Power door locks
- Dual rear compartment speakers.
- Power radio antenna (except with CB units).
- Removable glass roof panels.
- Twin outside rearview mirrors; driver’s remote controlled, passenger’s manual.
- Cruise-Master speed control.
- Convenience package, including momentary stay-lit feature for dome and courtesy lights, visor mirror, “headlights on” buzzer, low fuel indicator and engine compartment light, floor mats and intermittent windshield wiper control.
- Heavy-duty Freedom battery, with 4000-watt rating.
- 25th Anniversary Paint B2Z. A distinctive two-tone silver paint treatment is offered as a special 25th anniversary option. Upper body color is silver metallic with charcoal silver on lower body. Pin stripes accentuate fender upper profiles, wheel openings, front fender vents, hood and rear license cavity. Available aluminum wheels and dual sport mirrors required with this package.
|Feature||Base Engine RPO L48||RPO L48 California Emissions||RPO L82|
|Type||V-8, 90-degree Overhead valve|
|Displacement||350 cid (5.7 liters)||350 cid (5.7 liters)||350 cid (5.7 liters)|
|Bore & Stroke||4.00 x 3.48″||4.00 x 3.48″||4.00 x 3.48″|
|Brake horsepower||185 @ 4000||175 @ 4000||220 @ 5200|
|Torque||280 lb-ft @ 2400||270 lb-ft @ 2400||260 lb-ft @ 3600|
|Fuel supply||Rochester M4MC||Rochester M4MC California emissions and high-altitude emissions||Rochester M4MC|
|Wheelbase||98 inches (2.489 m)|
|Overall length||185.2 inches (4.704 m)|
|Overall width||69.0 inches (1.753 m)|
|Overall height||48 inches (1.219 m)|
|Ground Clearance||4.5 inches (11.4 cm)|
|Front tread||58.7 inches (1.491 m)|
|Rear tread||59.5 inches (1.511 m)|
|Tires||P277/70R-15 steel-belted radial|
|Front suspension||Independent, unequal-length control arms with ball joints, coil springs, and stabilizer bar|
|Rear suspension||Independent, trailing link, transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs|
|Brakes||Hydraulic, vented four wheel discs; 11.75-inch diameter, single calipers|
|Body construction||Separate fiberglass body and box-type ladder frame with cross-members|
|Fuel tank||24 US Gal (20 Imp Gal) (91 liters)|
- Classic White
- Silver Anniversary
- Black/ Silver
- Corvette Light Blue
- Corvette Yellow
- Corvette Light Beige
- Corvette Red
- Corvette Mahogany
- Corvette Dark Blue
- Corvette Dark Brown
- Oyster Cloth
- Silver Cloth
- Black Cloth Dark Blue Cloth
- Light Beige Cloth
- Dark Brown Cloth
- Red Cloth
- Mahogany Cloth
- Silver Leather
- Black Leather
- Dark Blue Leather
- Light Beige Leather
- Dark Brown Leather
- Red Leather
- Mahogany Leather
- Oyster Leather
Fast Fact: the 1978 Corvette was the pace car for the Indy 500. This car has distinctive Black/Silver two-tone paint with a red pin-stripe.