1953 Corvette Specs
The Thrilling New Chevrolet Corvette
The First All-American Sports Car!
- Engine – Special 150hp, high-compression, 6-cylinger valve-in-head “Blue Flame” engine; triple side-draft carburetors.
- Exhaust System – Dual, exhausting through two ports in rear deck of body.
- Transmission – Powerglide Automatic Transmission
- Rear Axle – 3.55 to 1 ratio hypoid axle; Hotchkiss drive
- Front Suspension – Knee Action with direct double-acting shock absorbers and ride stabilizer.
- Rear Suspension – 4-leaf semi-elliptic springs; direct double-acting shock absorbers.
- Frame – X-member-braced Box Girder frame.
- Steering – Full anti-friction gear; Center-Point linkage.
- Brake – Hydraulic, 11″ Jumbo-Drum, self-energizing brakes; mechanical actuation of rear brakes for parking.
- Wheels – Chrome disks; simulated “knock-off” hubs.
- Tires – 6.70.15 white sidewall tires, including spare.
- Gasoline Tank – 18 gallons, behind seats; concealed filler in body side.
- Car Dimension – Height, 33″ at door; wheelbase, 102″; over-all length, 167″; over-all width, 70″; front tread, 57″; rear tread, 59″; curb weight, approximately 2900 pounds.
Attractive Front Styling
- Headlights – Recessed in fenders.
- Parking Lights – At ends of radiator grille.
- Radiator Grille – Chrome air-scoop type.
- Guards – Chrome radiator grille and fender guards.
- Hood – Glass fiber, hinged at front; release inside cockpit; automatically latching support.
- Windshield – Chrome-bound, one-piece curved safety plate glass; 53-degree slant.
- Side Windows – Separate; snapped in chrome top moldings of door.
- Top – Rakish, manually adjusted, lightweight fabric top; plastic rear window.
Spacious, Comfortable Cockpit
- Seats – Form-fitting individual bucket seats; driver’s seat adjustable.
- Arm Rests – Built in doors above large, saddle-covered stowage boxes.
- Upholstery – Sportsman Red plastic-coated fabric seat and side wall trim.
- Instruments – Airplane type, including tachometer showing engine revolutions per minute; hooded speedometer and radio speaker.
- Accessories – Radio and heater option at extra cost.
- Steering Wheel – Nearly vertical 17-1/4″ wheel; horn-blowing ring.
- Transmission Selector Lever – Floor mounted, in sports car tradition.
- Doors – Wide-opening glass-fiber doors with pull lever inside release.
Strong, Lightweight Plastic Body
- Construction – Special, open-cockpit, 2-passenger body, constructed of glass fiber reinforced plastic for exceptionally light weight with great strength.
- Colors – Exterior, Polo White; interior, Sportsman Red; fabric top, Jet Black
Graceful Rear Styling
- Tail Lights – Jet-styled tail, stop, and direction signal lights in ends of air-fin fenders.
- License Plate – Indirectly lighted license plate recessed in deck lid.
- Guards – Chrome deck and fender guards.
- Luggage Locker – Capacious, with counterbalanced glass-fiber lid; opens with turn of a key and touch of a finger; spare wheel mounted flat below floor.
- Top Compartment – Compartment for stowage of fabric top concealed in front of rear deck.
It’s Fun to Drive a Corvette!
Sensational in styling and performance, the revolutionary new Chevrolet Corvette sets the standard for a coming field – The American Sports Car. The Corvette is designed exclusively for sports-loving, fun-loving people. It combines the graceful silhouette, extra-low center of gravity, light weight, and sparkling action of the true sports car with all the engineering features, comforts, conveniences, and riding qualities expected in an automobile by motorists today.
Now the designers’ dreams have come true! A full tested reality, the Chevrolet Corvette becomes the first All-American Sports Car to be produced – in limited quantity.